TV Shows starring Long Island

AmeliaMimsy

TV Shows starring Long Island

10 Mar, 2012 10:30 a.m.

The past few seasons have introduced a handful of television shows set on Long Island...primarily the Hamptons. I went to school up-state, and experienced the prejudice of northern new yorkers toward what they consider to be a typical Long Islander. Do you think shows like Revenge and Royal Pains come anywhere near giving a fair depiction of the average Long Islander's lifestyle? I don't.

blackhawk6164

Re:TV Shows starring Long Island

11 Mar, 2012 10:59 a.m.

While these shows don't portray long islanders in a flattering way I would hope people watching the show would realize its exaggerated for TV and entertainment purposes. I don't think people assume everyone from Kazakhstan is like borat, not every Australian is like crocodile Dundee.

jbyrne13

11 Mar, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Hey Long Island, My name is John Byrne and I am a student at Hofstra University. I am in my fourth year of studying television production and I am in my last television class. The class consists of four shows that we must produce during the semester. The show is called For Your Island and is about the people, places, and culture of long island. Our first show is tomorrow (Monday March 12th) and it airs live at 4:00 pm. We REALLY need views so I’m turning to you, people of Long Island. Point your browser to http://www.htvinteractive.com/ and click on the “LIVE” button on the top left at 4pm tomorrow. Thanks so much in advance and even if we only get one view from this post, I’d call that a success. Thanks again

-John

Cruzer

13 Mar, 2012 10:33 a.m.

I think Everybody Loves Raymond did a pretty decent job with the setting, sitcom absurdities not withstanding.

LIJeanne

13 Mar, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Well, I don't think a lot of reality shows are based in reality - they're edited or scripted for dramatic effect. They're also purposefully cast to include "larger than life personalities".

As for scripted programming, it of course doesn't reflect reality - if it did, there would be no real reason to watch television. They have to make TV extra-ordinary for it to be entertaining. You wouldn't watch a show that replicated your everyday life.
Advertisement
Advertise With Us

Open Feedback Dialog