16 Handles Founder and Manhasset Resident Solomon Choi Tragically Passes Away at 44

LongIsland.com

Choi was the founder of 16 Handles - the first-ever self-serve frozen yogurt in New York City that would go on to boast more then 40 locations around the world.

Print Email

(L to R): Bagel Boss co-owner Andrew Hazen with 16 Handles founder Solomon Choi.

Manhasset, New York resident and prominent businessman Solomon Choi sadly passed away on June 7, 2024 at just 44 years of age.

Choi was the founder of 16 Handles - the first-ever self-serve frozen yogurt in New York City that would go on to boast more then 40 locations around the world - as well as foodservice industry supplier of custom and off-the-shelf disposables Greeno Products. He would later go on to start Jabba Brands in 2019 to advise, invest and operate foodservice companies, and was also involved with venture capital firm Hustle Fund, which invests in early-stage start-up companies.

Choi was born on April 20, 1980 in Seoul, South Korea, and later moved to the United States and graduated with a BS in Business Administration from the University of Southern California Marshall School of Business in 2002.

He leaves behind his parents, William WonJin Choi and Jennifer YunHwa Choi, his wife Hannah Chang-Choi, and their two children Jubilee and Joshua Choi.

16 Handles CEO Neil Hershman issued a statement about Choi's tragic passing, praising him as someone who was generous with both his time and energy. 

“We are deeply saddened by the unexpected passing of 16 Handles’ Founder and former CEO Solomon Choi,” he said. “He was a visionary who came to New York City in his 20s and founded this iconic frozen dessert brand. 16 Handles is where I got my personal start in franchising and I owe so much to Solomon for the opportunities, education, mentorship and friendship he provided to me throughout the years. Part of the mission statement for 16 Handles’ is to ‘create moments of happiness,’ and Solomon truly embodied this is his personal and professional life, always sporting a big smile and optimistic outlook. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and all those who loved him and worked with him during this incredibly difficult time.”

Burial services will be held at Pinelawn Cemetery at 11 a.m. on June 15. Tributes are available in he form of memorial trees planted his honor; if you wish to donate, you can do so by clicking here.